[mrtg] Re: Mrtg-Ping-Probe Issues

Trebonious trebonious at swbell.net
Fri Nov 28 22:04:42 MET 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter W. Osel" <pwo at Infineon.COM>
To: "Trebonious" <trebonious at swbell.net>
Cc: <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 4:14
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Mrtg-Ping-Probe Issues

> > *** Trebonious <trebonious at swbell.net>
> > *** [2003-11-27 17:22:05]:
> > OS: RedHat 9.0
> > Version of MRTG: 2.10.5
> > Version of mrtg-ping-probe: 2.2.0
> > MRTG Works great graphing bandwidth usage. The errors I get are as
fallows:

> > [trebonious at coreserver /]# /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg
> > /usr/local/mrtg-2/ping/mrtg.cfg-ping
> > Can't exec "/usr/local/mrtg-2/ping/mrtg-ping-probe": No such file or
> > directory at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg line 1641.
>

> Hello Trebonious,
>
> take a look at Tobi's smokeping - it is mindboggling cool ...
> http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/smokeping/
>

> In any case, check the first line of the /mrtg-ping-probe perl script,
> and make sure that it lists an existing perl version.  The default is
> #!/bin/perl
> whereas on RedHat 9.0 you will find perl as
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> Hope this helps
>
> --pwo
>

> --
> Peter W. Osel                   Principal - Development Systems
> Infineon Technologies           Email: pwo at Infineon.COM
> North America Corp.             Phone: +1 (408) 501 6321
> 1730 North First Street         Fax:   +1 (408) 501 2410
> San Jose, CA 95112, USA         WWW:   http://pwo.de/
>
> pgp key fingerprint = 79 2D DD 49 C0 AA D8 CF  2C F9 A5 6A BA 37 0E 28
>
> --

Originally I was going to go with smokeping but ran into a lot of errors. I
got smokeping started but now I can't get the smokeping.cgi to work, it
keeps throwing Internal 500 errors. I want to go with smokeping but this
will do for now. Thanks Peter, it was the Perl line that was off. If you
have any clue to why smokeping throws internal 500 errors, please let me
know.

Trebonious