[mrtg] Re: how to aggregate multiple targets

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Sun Nov 30 22:34:35 MET 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Glanville" <peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk>
To: "Mait Mandel" <Mait.Mandel at emt.ee>; <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 2:13 AM
Subject: [mrtg] Re: how to aggregate multiple targets

> > how can i aggregate multiple targets into one graph using MRTG?
> > without polling them again, but using the existing logfiles?
> > i want to see the traffic of multiple interfaces in one cisco box.
>
> One option is using MRTG & RRD with Routers2 as a viewer
>
> That has a User Defined Graph option that can be the Total of a number of
> other grpahs

I would have thought someone had come up with a script to use databases from
two targets, and combine the data to create a third (aggregate) data set,
graphs and html pages.  No?

Are there major difficulties to this approach?  I can think of possible
problems with time stamps that don't match, but there are probably logical
work-arounds for even those.

I'd like to do this plus something even simpler - generate two sets of pages,
one with peaks and one without, from a single polling of a target.  How best
to go about this?  Once again, I would have thought someone had already
solved this with a script, perhaps one that reads an existing database, pulls
the most recent polling numbers and timestamp and feeds them to mrtg.