[mrtg] Problems with SNMP data collection

Simon Westlake simon.westlake at bizwi.rr.com
Fri Oct 3 17:57:25 MEST 2003

Has anyone ever experienced a problem with MRTG being unable to get SNMP data, although the device is responding to SNMP?

I'm graphing a large number of routers, and a portion of them (~10%) often come back with no data (for days at a time.)

However, if I do an snmpget on the device, it returns the data within a second. I've tried setting MRTG retries to 10, timeout to 30 seconds, Single SNMP requests to 'Yes' and pretty much everything else I can think of. Checking the MRTG log file shows:

SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.3 on string at ip
 at /usr/local/src/mrtg-2.9.29/bin/mrtg line 1674
2003-10-03 02:31:24 -- SNMP Error:
no response received

For example.. but the device is responding (and quickly.)

Any other ideas? Box load is relatively low while MRTG & Smokeping are running (<50% mem and cpu usage)