[mrtg] Can't edit config files

William Swartz wrswartz at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 9 23:43:58 MEST 2003

Setup: MRTG 2.9.17 running on RedHat 9

After making a config file using 'cfgmaker', I can't seem to edit the output
file using gedit.  I get the following error:

"Could not open the file "/etc/mrtg/test.cfg" because it contains invalid
UTF-8 data.  Probably, you are trying to open a binary file."

Strange thing is that I was using gedit to edit these files just yesterday
and it was working fine!  Seems like I can use vi with no problems but I'm
not very good with it and prefer the GUIness of gedit.  Of course, it would
seem that something has changed on my system but I can't imagine what.  Any
ideas?

Thanks,
William