[mrtg] net-snmp and MRTG wierdness

Scott Schappell archon at silvertree.org
Mon Oct 13 06:00:21 MEST 2003

I'm turning the collective genius of the MRTG list for assistance with
this problem :).  I'm wanting to use net-snmp to monitor CPU usage
information.  I went through the tutorial at the net-snmp website and
configuring MRTG as instructed did not provide expected results.

The system I'm monitoring is a dual CPU FreeBSD box (FBSD
4.8-RELEASE-p13).  Doing a snmp walk on the ssCpuRawIdle, etc results
in an incrementing counter. Checking the log files for the target also
shows increment.

However, the graph is all wrong.  Below I will include the relevant
config entries.

mrtg.cfg
   LoadMIBs: /usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/UCD-SNMP-MIB.txt
   Include: /usr/local/etc/mrtg/cpu.cfg

cpu.cfg
   WithPeak[arthur.cpusum]:n
   Options[arthur.cpusum]: growright,nopercent
   RouterUptime[arthur.cpusum]: public at localhost
   Target[arthur.cpusum]:ssCpuRawUser.0&ssCpuRawIdle.0:public at localhost
   MaxBytes[arthur.cpusum]: 100
   Title[arthur.cpusum]: CPU LOAD
   PageTop[arthur.cpusum]: <H1>Active CPU Load %</H1>
   Unscaled[arthur.cpusum]: ymwd
   ShortLegend[arthur.cpusum]: %
   YLegend[arthur.cpusum]: CPU Utilization
   Legend1[arthur.cpusum]: Idle CPU in %
   Legend2[arthur.cpusum]: User  CPU in %
   Legend3[arthur.cpusum]: Maximum CPU Active
   Legend4[arthur.cpusum]: Maximum CPU Idle
   LegendI[arthur.cpusum]: User
   LegendO[arthur.cpusum]: Idle

arthur.cpusum.log
   1066017228 7471223 25885963
   1066017228 2 0 2 0
   1066016928 2 0 2 0
   1066016700 2 0 2 0
   1066016400 5 0 7 0
   1066016100 3 0 7 0
   1066015800 2 0 3 0
   1066015500 2 0 2 0
   1066015200 2 0 2 0
   1066014900 2 0 2 0

arthur.cpusum.old
   1066016928 7470682 25810851
   1066016928 2 0 2 0
   1066016628 2 0 2 0
   1066016400 5 0 7 0
   1066016100 3 0 7 0
   1066015800 2 0 3 0
   1066015500 2 0 2 0
   1066015200 2 0 2 0
   1066014900 2 0 2 0
   1066014600 2 0 2 0

You can see the graph in all its broken glory at
http://www.silvertree.org/performance/arthur.cpusum.html

CPU idle should be high 90%, not 0%

This little problem is most vexing, and I thank you all for your help.

--
PGP Key: http://archon.silvertree.org/pgp.txt (also on various key
servers)