[mrtg] Re: Need a good windows file merging program

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Wed Oct 15 03:56:39 MEST 2003

If all you need to do is join all the files in a directory into one large file, this can be done easily from a command prompt with a single command.

For example, if the files you want to join are in c:\logs\20031014, enter the command:

copy c:\logs\20031014\*.* c:\logs\20031014.txt

You can obviously change this command to suit your needs, use different wild cards, etc.

A more complicated command that accomplishes the same result is:

for %i in (c:\logs\20031014\*.*) do type %i >> c:\logs\20031014.txt

If the files need to be added together in some particular order, it gets more complicated but not extremely so. For example, to add the files together sorted by name requires two commands:

dir c:\logs\20031014\*.* /B /O > loglist.txt
for %i in (loglist.txt) do type %i >> c:\logs\20031014.txt

Make it a batch file, run it as a scheduled task, and take it easy.

Or am I missing some part of your requirements?