[mrtg] peak on graph after "incident"

Chris Conn cconn at abacom.com
Mon Oct 20 21:23:45 MEST 2003

Hello,

I have searched the archives and am sure this has been asked before, however I
cannot come up with any information on this.

I have noted that when a unit for some reason is unresponsive/down to a SNMP
request for reasons ranging from packet loss, link instability or a simple
reboot, the following SNMP reply generates a very large peak of traffic that in
fact was not present on the link, sometimes several megabits and several times
faster than the link can accomodate.  I understand the possibility of using
AbsMax, however my old version (2.8.12) running on antiquated hardware/software
did not do this, and the AbsMax is not 100% an effective solution in my case
since that traffic did not really exist.

I am unsure as to why this occurs, possibly because of a modification to
accomodate 32-bit counter rollovers?  In any case, is there a modification that
can be made to log zero to a loopped counter instead of logging a huge bandwith
spike?

I am running RH9 with MRTG 2.9.17, and net-snmp 5.0.6.

Thanks in advance,

Chris