[mrtg] Re: multiple OID in GET-request

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Oct 20 21:59:47 MEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 14:31, J. L. Espinosa wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm polling an ATM device (Lucent PSAX 2300) with multiple sub-interfaces,
> that is about 20 subinterfaces. That's Fine.
>
> As soon as posible,  I'll have to poll 200 subinterface and i wouldn't to
> overwhelm the device.
>
> Does anybody know an MRTG application to make more efficient polling to a
> single multiple subinterface device, through a simple GET-request SNMP PDU
> with many OIDs. Not just the typical two-OID Get-Request that MRTG build.

You can't get much more than about 30 OIDs in the GET-REQUEST SNMP PDU
before you run out of room.

> Thanks for any advice.

If I had to do this, I would write a program that does a bulk-get (the
SNMP_Util.pm module automatically uses bulk-get when you call snmpwalk
and are using SNMP v2c).  That would store the values somewhere.  Then I
would write another program to pull the values two at a time into mrtg.
Maybe combine them into something that wrote a little cache file if the
cache was more than 100 seconds old and just looked in the cache the
rest of the time.

--
Daniel J McDonald <dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com>
Austin Energy