[mrtg] Monitor Multicast traffic on NT interface or Cisco Cat2900 port.

meuk one meukone at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 12:27:48 MEST 2003

Hi All,

Please advise on how to monitor multicast traffic being received by an NT 4.0 Wkstn. The NT box is a DVB gateway receiving multicast traffic on IP block 229.6.3.0/24. (around 2 - 3 Mbps ave. utilization)

I have the graph for the incoming/outgoing traffic on the Ethernet interface via the cfgmaker on MRTG 2.9.18pre10 and its working fine except that the multicast traffic was NOT being measured. I tried via Getif utility the OID's for ifInNUcastPkts and ifOutNUcastPkts (non unicast packets) arriving on the Ethernet interface however no traffic is being log by the MRTG graph.

There was no error on the mrtg logs but just simply showing as zero on the graph. However, if I used OID like  ifInOctets and ifOutOctets it can capture the interface traffic but I think this does not include multicast traffic, am i right? as the graph was just equivalent to the graph generated by the MRTG cfgmaker which does not pick up multicast.

Please advise If I need to reference MRTG to MIB's especially for multicast. (and howto as I am a newbie on MIBs :-(    )
I also tried the above approach on the Cisco Cat 2900 port connected to the NT server but also got the same result.

Help Please.
Thanks.