[mrtg] Re: newbie dumb questions pls help

Greg Dickinson gdickinson at logistasolutions.com
Tue Oct 28 15:34:34 MET 2003

Hi Jo,

Here are some musings from my experiences with MRTG:

1.) Yes - assuming you are monitoring your router, and not the other
end.  If you're monitoring *their* router, then the in/out is reversed -
meaning that the "output" is really the "input" to your end.  From
looking at the graph, unless you're hosting a web site ;-) it looks like
you're monitoring the ISP's router.

2.) I imagine this has something to do with the 95th percentile "hack"
that is referenced at the bottom of the graph.  Someone that's actually
used this will have to comment.

3.) Yes - incoming will be much greater, as the HTTP requests to remote
servers are very small, and the graphics coming down are much larger
:-)

4.) The horixonal are the hours in 24hour notation.  The current graph
shows traffic from about 11:00 am until 6:00 pm, for example.

5.) A small amount of activity is normal for routing updates,
kepp-alives, etc.  Depending on your MRTG and/or router configuration,
you may or may not see them.

Hope this helps,

--Greg

>>> "jo ." <joseph at ciphercom.net> 10/27/2003 7:16:24 PM >>>
Hi all, sorry for these dumb questions but here goes.. dont shoot me
now..

First i need help in *understanding* the mrtg graph that was provided
by an ISP. it's located at http://203.177.80.226:8080,now my questions
are:

1.se0 refers to the serial interface right? meaning, the traffic from
my router going to my isp's router...?

2. whats the difference between peak inbound traffic and inbound
traffic?, why are they overlapping?

3. should incoming traffic be always greater than outgoing traffic?
assuming browsing is only being done.

4. what does the horizontal numbers indicate..time right? hours? what
does it all mean?

5. should there be activity in mrtg se0 if there are no
browsing,downloading, etc on the workstation connected?

this graph is based on a "trial" demo from this isp and they promised
us a 64kbps CIR wireless solution and basically, i wanted to see in mrtg
if indeed we are getting that 64kbps link (or are we getting screwed?).
pls help me in deciphering/reading the graph so I can make my
recommendations.

thanks... duh