[mrtg] No Log File Creation/Updating: File Permissions on WorkDir?

Mike McCandless michael at prismbiz.com
Wed Oct 29 11:42:43 MET 2003

When I run mrtg manually, or through crontab ($ mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg),
as root, there are no log files or .png files being updated.  The
permissions on my WorkDir are 755, owned by root.root.

I briefly changed the permissions on this directory to 757, ran mrtg
manually, and began to get log files and .png files being created/updated.
This leads me to believe that there is some sort of file permissions
problem - but I don't know what it is.  I am guessing that mrtg does not
run as root, but can't figure out what user it does run as.

Any ideas?

Mike McCandless
michael at prismbiz.com