[mrtg] Re: No Log File Creation/Updating: File Permissions on Wo rkDir?

Lingegowda, Nagesh (Consultant) Nagesh.Lingegowda at GTECH.COM
Wed Oct 29 15:41:25 MET 2003

Mike,

If it is working manually, then it should work for the crontab also.
In the crontab ,make sure that absolute path is given to all the commands.
like for /opt/OV/bin/perl /usr/local/src/mrtg---/ovmrtg/mrtg    mrtg1.cfg

you can also look at the cron log to find out what is going wrong while
executing the crontab

Thanks and Regards
Nagesh H L
401-392-7116

When I run mrtg manually, or through crontab ($ mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg),
as root, there are no log files or .png files being updated.  The
permissions on my WorkDir are 755, owned by root.root.

I briefly changed the permissions on this directory to 757, ran mrtg
manually, and began to get log files and .png files being created/updated.
This leads me to believe that there is some sort of file permissions
problem - but I don't know what it is.  I am guessing that mrtg does not
run as root, but can't figure out what user it does run as.

Any ideas?

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Also, email is susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.