[mrtg] MRTG to RRDtool Migration

jon.hartman at verizon.com jon.hartman at verizon.com
Wed Oct 29 15:55:35 MET 2003

I'd like to migrate from MRTG to RRDtool, in particular to take =
advantage
of the 1 minute polling cycles. I have a couple of questions though:
=20
1) Why does MRTG use PNG's and it's successor GIF's? I thought the open
source movement was trying to steer clear of any patented formats.
2) If I use RRDtool as the back-end and MRTG as the front-end, can I =
still
set the polling interval as low as every minute? If not, why not?
3) Why is MRTG limited to once per 5 minutes? Is it due to the logfile
storage math?
=20
Thanks in advance for any assistance provided. I'm currently reading =
over
the docs available and trying my best to soak it all in. ;)
=20
  _____ =20

 =09
Jon Hartman <mailto:jon.hartman at verizon.com>=20