[mrtg] Re: [OT] Software Patents

(verstrooid) profke profke at easynet.be
Thu Sep 4 23:28:33 MEST 2003

>   What I guess I'm really asking is how exactly could this affect MRTG
> itself. I'm over in the US so any effect it will have on me would be
> minimal at most but I'm just curious as to how it can affect this piece
> of software (MRTG) for example.
for one: the link to the mrtg-page, ending on ".ch" should learn you
that tobi is an inhabitant of switzerland, an european country.

with these patents going on, he will have be _very_ carefull not to
violate any of them, so future development will be much slower, if not
impossible.

further more, if the current version of mrtg uses some patented
technology, EVERYONE WHO USES MRTG could be fined to pay some licention
to the company who claims those patents.

P.S: look at the current Linux<=>SCO battle, allmost same thing.

--
Treat your password like your toothbrush.
Don't let anybody else use it,