[mrtg] Linux snmpd newbie: minimum snmpd.conf for mrtg RH7.3

Voytek Eymont lists at sbt.net.au
Mon Sep 8 10:36:51 MEST 2003

I'm trying to install mrtg 2.9.17 with RH7.3;

I'm somewhat familiar with mrtg, as I run mrtg 2.8.8 on my OS/2 server including
some contrib plugins, and, some home-grown plugin scripts, and, mrtg just works.

but, I'm kinda newbie Linux 'administrator'...

so, looking at /etc/snmpd.conf;, I just don't understand what am I supposed to use
as 'public' community from the default snmpd.conf:

relavant parts of smtpd.conf:

-----------------
# snmpd.conf:

# As shipped, the snmpd demon will only respond to queries on the
# system mib group until this file is replaced or modified for
# security purposes.  Examples are shown below about how to increase the
# level of access.

# First, map the community name "public" into a "security name"

#       sec.name  source          community
com2sec notConfigUser  default       public

####
# Second, map the security name into a group name:

#       groupName      securityModel securityName
group   notConfigGroup v1           notConfigUser
group   notConfigGroup v2c           notConfigUser

####
# Third, create a view for us to let the group have rights to:

#       name           incl/excl     subtree         mask(optional)
view    systemview     included      system

####
# Finally, grant the group read-only access to the systemview view.

#       group          context sec.model sec.level prefix read   write  notif
access  notConfigGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  systemview none none

------------

- is this configuartion sufficient for mrtg ?

- what MIB group ? do I need to enable in above, if any ?

        - to enable 'basic' mrtg NIC traffic stats ?

        - to enable other nifty mrtg stuff, like, various system stats, cpu usage,
hd usage, etc, etc

- and, what is the 'public' community name in above ? (systemview ?? com2sec ??)

(if I run snmpd withOUT the above smtpd.conf, 'cfgmaker' does get replies on
public at hostname - but, I'm concerned in running snmpd without 'proper' snmpd.conf)

thanks for any help, thanks for great tool
(sample code always welcomed )

Voytek Eymont