[mrtg] Re: SNMPWALK Problemz

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Sep 10 20:57:12 MEST 2003

Please be more specific.  If you want to monitor the MRTG box,
then you should have SNMP, but it is not required.

If you want to monitor only network devices (routers and switches),
then you need the correct community strings.

Having said that, it makes your life a lot easier if you have net-snmp
or some other means of checking snmp activity on remote devices
by being able to troublshoot why you have problems with MRTG.

What are your snmpwalk problems?

Paul

>>> "jsingh" <jsingh at fdu.edu> 09/10/03 02:49PM >>>
Hi
 I am newbie just installed the MRTG package and now I am trying to create
the config file and am running into problemz. I am getting

SNMPWALK problem. I don't have a snmpwalk installed on my machine, do I need
to go ahead and install net-snmp package on my machine? What I understood
was that MRTG has its own SNMP modules and I didn't need to install anything
else. Please guide me. Is it better that I do snmpwalk once to the router
and then run config ?

Thanks

Jaskaran Singh

University Systems & Security