[mrtg] Re: MRTG: value without division per time interval (no gauge)

Pete Templin pete.templin at texlink.com
Fri Sep 12 16:04:48 MEST 2003

"Counters can be reported as an absolute value, or a rate of change per some interval."

In the real world, they can also be reported as an amount of change.  Ever had your PHB ask you for how many N you've done since the last time you did your X report?  The PHB probably wants to know N.  The PHB doesn't want to know that there have been 0.5 N per day or 15 N per month, they want to know that there have been 12 N since the last time (s)he told the CEO how many N have been done.  The PHB and CEO both know the time interval involved, but maybe they're just looking for a quantity.

In my case, I see 100-500 events per five minutes.  I don't want to see the default 0-2 events per second, because I lose tons of resolution.  If I do "perminute", I get 20-100 per minute, and I get more resolution, but not the same resolution as if I chart the actual difference.  If I do "perhour", I get 1200-6000 events per hour, but the number shown represents a five-minute sample.  That is much harder to explain to non-technical people.  It's much the same as trying to explain that you were going 4MPH during part of the commute and 26MPH during another part of your commute, but your commute only lasted 12 minutes and you only had to go 4.7 miles.

Perhaps it's just time for a "perfiveminute" option or a generic "perinterval" option.

Pete Templin
Senior Staff Engineer
TexLink Communications
(210) 892-4183