[mrtg] Re: Eliminating Spikes on Graphs

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Sep 12 19:31:16 MEST 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:12:51PM -0400, Barakat, Mehmet-Hasan wrote:

> I'm using MRTG with RRDTool, and I've successfully recorded about 8 weeks
> worth of data. On my weekly graph, 4 weeks ago, I have an anomaly - a 50Mb
> spike, whilst all other traffic during the entire time period never crosses
> 3Mb (because it's a 3Mb line that the interface is connected to).

For the future: make sure to set limits to what's acceptable.  Have
a look at "rrdtool tune" for this.

> Is there a way of scrubbing the graph so that the scale isn't all out of
> whack? I have tiny little bumps all the way through and a skinny spike 4
> weeks ago. Needless to say, this affects the yearly graph also.

IIRC you can dump the file to xml format and restore it again using
an option (range check).  For this to work, you first have to set
appropriate limits.

Before changing the .rrd file, make sure to do a backup (just copy
the file).

HTH
Alex
--