[mrtg] Re: Monitoring non-snmp device(s)

Vicky Rode vickyr at socal.rr.com
Sat Sep 13 05:06:06 MEST 2003

Say I want to monitor voltage of a battery or the current status from a
solar panel which is acting as backup to a device. But neither the
battery or solar panel is snmp enabled since its not snmp supported.
Can a hardware be built which at one end talks to the battery or solar
panel and the other end connects to the network and talks snmp in order
to give me health status on the battery and /or solar panel, this way a
non-snmp device can be monitored.

I understand this type of a hardware will be unique to the device it
will connect to but what I'm looking for is whether something similar to
this has been achieved and if so any pointers will be appreciated.

That's all :)

Regards,
/vicky