[mrtg] Re: MRTG show drops regularly

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 17:34:18 MEST 2003

>  The MRTG graph is showing  drops regularly every 2 hours pattern.
> I'm quite confident that is not a link problem.
> I'm monitoring a Cisco 3660 and using MRTG latest version.

You may notice that the frequency drops when the bandwidth does. So it
occurs every time a certain volume of traffic has passed.
That suggests it is to do with 32-bit meters wrapping back to zero, and
MRTG mis-interpreting the new reading being less than the previous reading.

Possibly use 64-bit counters?

Also I think a fair bit of work has been done to determine the difference
between meter wrap, system reboot etc. Are you running a fairly recent copy
of MRTG?

Peter