[mrtg] Rateup Errors

Wolfe, Mark A (MAWOLFE) MAWOLFE at arinc.com
Thu Sep 18 14:50:12 MEST 2003

Can anyone tell me what is happening with the following series of errors:

Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/mrtg/bin/rateup Can't rename xxxxxxxx_1.tmp to
xxxxxxxxx_1.log updating log file
Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/mrtg/bin/rateup Can't remove xxxxxxxxxx_2.old
updating log file
Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/mrtg/bin/rateup Can't rename xxxxxxxxx_2.log to
xxxxxxxx_2.old updating log file
Rateup ERROR: /usr/local/mrtg/bin/rateup found that xxxxxxxxx_fa00_util's
log file time of 1063817613 was greater than now (1063817586)
ERROR: Let's not do the time warp, again. Logfile unchanged.
Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/mrtg/bin/rateup could not read the primary log
file for xxxxxxxxx_cpu

We have about 200 devices being monitored by MRTG. The above set of errors
started yesterday. There were thousands of them. The net result is that all
the data in the log files was systematically zeroed out for nearly every
device and we lost about a year's worth of data. The only way I could stop
the hemorrhaging was to completely stop mrtg (all processes) and restart.