[mrtg] Re: monitoring the "Unavailable Secs" of Serial Interface that has E3 card on Cisco ROuter

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Sep 19 15:09:18 MEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 15:57, Zeeshan Ahmed wrote:
> I want to monitor the "Unavailable Secs" of my Serial Interface that has E3 card on Cisco ROuter 7204 VXR.
> I can see the Unavailable Secs of my interface by the command sh controllers serial 4/0
> and I get following out put

This mib does not lend itself to graphing.  There are no cumulative
counters stored anywhere.  There is a current interval that restarts
every 15 minutes.  There are 96 history counters that roll in a stack -
every time a current interval expires it pushes the old value on the 1st
position of the stack and the last one drops off.  Then there is a
"total" counter that is the sum of the 96 history counters.  None of
them increase monotonicly - if Interval 96 had 535 events and the
current Interval had 17 events, the total would go down by 518.

I've tried to graph data from this class of mibs in the past but have
always been frustrated  I too would welcome ideas on how to massage this
information into a form that MRTG would be comfortable with.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy