[mrtg] Re: MRTG.cfg Too Big?

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Sep 25 18:10:26 MEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 10:47, Jeff Milam wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a very large MRTG.cfg running and have found that for some reason
> when I add more devices to cfg recently it does not create the graphs. If I
> add the devices to a separate cfg and daemonize it along with mrtg.cfg the
> graphs come up. Is there a file size limit to mrtg.cfg or possibly a setting
> I need to edit?

The limit is how many targets you can process in 5 minutes.  If MRTG
takes longer than 5 minutes to generate everything, it gets very
frustrated...

The solutions are:
1.  Run unix and use forks with a higher number
2.  split up the config into more pieces
3.  trim the number of retries so that one bad host doesn't extend the
time past 5 minutes.
4.  buy faster hardware.

> --
Daniel J McDonald <dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com>