[mrtg] Re: env var problem

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 1 04:49:16 MEST 2004

>ERROR: Mrtg will most likely not work propperly when the environment
>       variable LANG is set to UTF-8. Please run mrtg in an environment
>       where this is not the case:
>
>       env LANG=C /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg ...
Everyone else is probably busy counting to 10 before they flame you for not
reading the FAQ, so I'll quickly step in to answer, before you all come out
medium-rare:

This means exactly what it says!  MRTG needs the environment variable LANG
set to the value 'C' on your UNIX system, which is probably a Redhat 8 or 9
Linux box that defaults to UTF-8.

If you are using bourne shell, then call it with the 'LANG=C' in front of
it, as in the example, to set this variable.  We have the same problem here,
so my periodic cheallscript that calls MRTG sets this variable first.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes