[mrtg] Re: MRTG drop to zero when peaking

Bigelow, Andrea L. BigelowA at SEC.GOV
Thu Apr 1 23:38:16 MEST 2004

> I recently started using MRTG with RRD to collect bandwidth
> usage from an HP2848 switch.  Everything is fine except when
> the traffic peaks the graph drops down to zero then slowly
> starts back up again and returns to normal after one hour.
> MRTG detects Max speed as 125 MBytes/sec.  So I'm wondering
> if that's the problem.  Traffic going over 125 MBytes and
> causes MRTG to stop graphing.  How can I raise the Max speed manually?

Hi Jon,

Easiest way to do that is to define an extra option in the config file. For
example, to set the max bytes for FastEthernet 0/1 on a Cisco switch with IP
address 192.168.1.16, you'd add this line to the config file:

MaxBytes[192.168.1.16_Fa0_1]: 125000000

That's a for example - you may want to set it to something different.

Hope this helps!

Andi L. Bigelow
Dyncorp EOS - Network Engineering Group
United States Securities and Exchange Commission
bigelowa{at}sec{dot}gov
(202) 942-4368

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -- Braveheart