[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Discards but not sure if I have to use absolute, gauge,

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 09:59:52 MEST 2004

> I am graphing frame relay discards and seeing as the numbers will always
> increment, if I reboot the Router counters will go back to zero but when
> I snmpwalk they are increasing really slowly.
> Q is which of these values do I have to use... Absolute, gauge so I can
> graph realistic figures instead of getting graphs that show 50k and so
> forth which infact over the last 5 minutes my counters have only
> increased 20 or so
You do not want Gauge or Absolute, but may need perminute or perhour
Gauge does not divide by time, just plots the current value.
Absolute only uses the current value divided by time
Neither of these is correct for you.
Normally MRTG plots the difference between current and previous reading
divided by time and displays the result. This is what you want.
But if the change rate is less than one per second, you get zero
displayed. So monitor it every 5 mins, but get the display to show the
change as a rate per minute or per hour (which will be greater than one,
and therefore displayed)

Peter