[mrtg] Re: Can't compile!!

Takumi Yamane yamtak at b-session.com
Wed Apr 7 17:44:55 MEST 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:54:53 +0300, "Rikunj" wrote
in <115601c41ca7$e8f51af0$c83a29c4 at RPCZONE>:

> I tried installing fresh on redhat 8, surprisingly got the same
> result. Anything else I can try with.

There are so many things you have to do to solve the 'problem' you got:

1) inspect your Makefile:
  less Makefile
2) proceed to next step if the problem still remain.
3) learn a bit about how 'make' works:
  pinfo make
    read a section: "* Invoking make: Running."
4) re-run make to see if the problem still remain:
  make; echo $?
    if you do not know anything about "$?", run 'man bash' and
    read a section "Special Parameters".
5) proceed to next step if the problem still remain.
6) learn a lot about how 'make' works:
  pinfo make
    read entire document.
7) proceed to next step if the problem still remain.
8) correct the problem by yourself:
  vi Makefile
9) proceed to next step only if really the problem still remain.
10) forget about MRTG or anything requires you to compile it.

Hope this helps,
Takumi Yamane <yamtak at b-session.com>

P.S.:
 1) Basically, it is a bad idea to run 'configure', or 'make'
   under privileged account like 'root' (except make install).
   There are so many pricks, like me :), on the net.
 2) Please exclude my address from CC when you reply.
   I already subscribed to this list, and I do not want to receive
   same messages twice.