[mrtg] Re: Dual T1's

Michael Grice grice at binc.net
Wed Apr 14 20:59:12 MEST 2004

* Joe Paragona <joe.paragona at carat.com> [040414 13:50] wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I've been using MRTG since the beginning of this year and I monitor about
> 50 devices.
> (MRTG 2.9.27 on W2K server)
>
> A second full T1 was added to my Internet router.  However my graph for
> that router still shows
> 1500k bits per second, like there is only one full T1.
>
> With 2 T1's(1.54 Mbs x 2 = 3Mbs) coming in,  shouldn't the graph be showing
> 3000k bits per second?
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

It's not entirely clear to me what you mean by "the graph." Don't you
have one graph per interface? Depending on how it's configured, I'd
expect to see one graph for each interface connected to a T-1 and
another graph for the interface attached to your LAN. Have you updated
your MRTG config since you added the new T-1?

The traffic through any individual interface will depend on how your
Internet router is configured, etc. It's entirely possible to have two
T-1's attached to your router and have all the traffic go out through
only one of them (which probably isn't what you want). MRTG should
hopefully show you if traffic is evenly distributed across the T-1's or
not.
--Michael