[mrtg] Re: mrtg - External Monitoring Script query regards graphing ping ti mes

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at CATO.GD-AIS.COM
Fri Apr 16 15:55:17 MEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 dhazell at aap.com.au wrote:

> Hi group
> I know that mrtg can monitor virtually anything if you want to write an
> external script which will return 4 lines of data to the mrtg software.
>
> At my work we are having problems with a remote site where the response time
> from the central site is apparently intermittently bad, so I would like to
> graph on my mrtg box the ping times (average and max in a 5 minute period)
> to this site. Not wanting to re-invent the wheel !, does anyone know if such
> a script exist already to graph ping times?

Take a look at Tobi's "smokeping" package.  I looked at it just after he
made his announcement, it appeared to provide the capabilities that you
are looking for.

Another technique that I have found useful, is to use the hyphen notation
on the Target lines to reverse the sense of the SNMP data.  This allows
you to create graphs that "tell a story" about the flow of data through
your network.  I then create composite overview web pages that use just
use the daily graphs.  These show how data is flowing through the network.

Doesn't tell you what the traffic is but makes congestion and traffic
volumes caused by the convergence of data flows much more apparent.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard
VERSION:			3.0