[mrtg] Redhat AS 3.0 basic install failing

Doug Roberts doug at rhbaby.com
Fri Apr 30 17:46:29 MEST 2004

 Hi all -
I have a fresh install of Redhat AS 3.0, fully updated that I'm trying to
getMRTG working on. The problem is probably embarrassingly easy. I'm trying
avirtually default install of MRTG on Redhat AS 3.0. Version details for
MRTGfollow. In the root directory as root, I created the config file as
follows:

cfgmaker public_comm_string at my_router_ip --global "WorkDir: ./mrtghtml"
--ifref=ip --output server.cfg

Where mrtghtml is a directory in root's home. This successfully created the
server.cfg file. On the first run of mrtg, I get the expected errors. After
waiting 5 minutes, I run it again and get an error that looks like rateup
can’t be found:

[root]# /usr/bin/mrtg server.cfg
/usr/bin/rateup: No such file or directory
Rateup Error: Can't open ./mrtghtml/my_router_ip _1-day.png for write
ERROR: Skipping webupdates because rateup did not return anything sensible
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0

I initially thought the problem was a missing rateup, but rateup is exactly
where it should be:
[root]# which rateup /usr/bin/rateup

Since it now looks like rateup is actually complaining that my_router_ip
_1-day.png is missing - and it *is* missing, I though there might be a
problem with gd...?

rpm -q libpng, gd and mrtg
libpng-1.2.2-16
gd-1.8.4-12
mrtg-2.9.29-4.ent

I fixed the LANG problem, also:
[root at lawor001 root]# more /etc/sysconfig/i18n
LANG="en_US"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

Virtually the exact setup works under Windows with no tweaking, although
thatis a combination of mrtg-2.10.13 and ActiveState Perl.

Thanks - any help is appreciated.

Doug