[mrtg] Problems with MRTG threshold checking when running as a service

Fairey, Simon simon.fairey at linklaters.com
Tue Aug 3 14:14:04 MEST 2004

Hi,

I'm using MRTG 2.10.14 on Windows 2003 without problem apart from when
trying to use the threshold checking features when MRTG is running as
a service. If I start MRTG from the command line (using the same
syntax used when running as the service) the threshold stuff works
fine - the batch file specified in ThreshProgI does what its supposed
to do.

When MRTG is run as a service nothing appears to happen. I had thought
it was permissions related but have ruled that out by running MRTG
from the command line as the same user the service is running as.

I have seen another post to this group with the same issue and there
was some suggestion that it might be related to path names not being
absolute. I have also ruled this out - the service (using srvany)
starts MRTG as:

C:\perl\bin\wperl.exe c:\mrtg-2.10.14\bin\mrtg --logging=eventlog
c:\<folder>\<mrtg config file>

and the threshold program:

ThreshProgI[<name>]: c:\folder\test.bat

To keep things simple whilst trying to identify the cause of this
problem the batch file just echos some text to a file (again using
absolute path name to the file).

I've tried running filemon (from Sysinternals) to see get some idea of
what might be going wrong. When MRTG is running from the command line
you can see the wperl process open the batch file, query is then close
it, and then a cmd.exe process spawns, which I presume is executing
the batch file. When MRTG is running as a service the wperl process
queries the batch file as before, but no cmd.exe process spawns. The
relevant user has execute permissions on cmd.exe.

There also does not appear to be any log messages indicating a
problem.

Can anyone suggest something I am missing / could check?

Thanks,

Simon.

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or
otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal
rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know
by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not
copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. All messages
sent to and from Linklaters may be monitored to ensure compliance
with internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not
secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be
intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. Anyone
who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks.

The contents of any email addressed to our clients are subject to
our usual terms of business; anything which does not relate to the
official business of the firm is neither given nor endorsed by it.

The registered address of the UK partnership of Linklaters is One
Silk Street, London, EC2Y 8HQ. Please refer to
http://www.linklaters.com/regulation for
important information on the regulatory position of the firm.