[mrtg] Re: snmp installations problems

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Thu Aug 5 16:22:39 MEST 2004

Biju Ramachandran wrote:

> I am new to this snmp stuff - could you please let me know if there is any
> default OID that I can use
>
> Thanks
>
> Biju

For what?

Think of MIBs like a DNS or really more like a HOSTS file.  All it does
is translate words to an OID (coupled with some descriptive text if
you're lucky).

In order to use a MIB your SNMP software must be made aware that the MIB
exists.  You can do this with SNMPWalk and SNMPGet but I much prefer to
use GETIF.

Link to GETIF: http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

Once GETIF is installed, take the MIBs you want to use and put them in
the \program files\getif x.x.x\mibs folder.  Then delete the .index
file.  Then when you run GETIF it will rebuild the .index based on the
MIBs in that folder.  It will then use the MIBS there to try and
describe what you are looking at when you navigate the SNMP tree using
MBrowser.

Once you find the OID you want to use, then you can easily add that to
the MRTG config and forget all about the MIB, the name, and all that
crapola.

If you really want to get serious about SNMP and understanding it, MIBs
and what it all means, start with this document:

http://www.netcom-sys.com/documents/snmp4dum.doc

Plus HUNDREDS of other useful links can be found with a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=SNMP+tutorial&btnG=Search

I hope this has been useful.

Eric Brander