[mrtg] Re: Logfile problem

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Aug 9 16:08:16 MEST 2004

I'd try two changes in this order:

Append at least three zeros to the Maxbytes value

If that doesn't work, undo the change and:
Remove Gauge from the options line.

Putting in a gauge means you don't want MRTG to calculate the
delta between the previous poll and the present poll.

Use gauge when the value does not change, but it is important
to track what the current value is.  Some examples of a gauge are:

CPU load, Temperature, Speed, humidity

Some examples of a non-gauge value:

bits (or bytes) per second, errors per hour, page faults per hour

I think acceleration fits more into the non-gauge category because
you want to know how much your speed has changed over a specific
interval, not how fast you are currently going.

So, if I may be so bold, NHRA would prefer a non-gauge value, while
NASCAR would prefer a gauge value, right?  LOL - Guess where I
was this weekend?

Anyway, I know this is way off topic, but my ears are still ringing...

Paul

>>> "Britt Tabor" <Britt_Tabor at Jabil.com> 8/9/2004 9:51:52 AM >>>

I agree it is a MaxBytes issue and the data collected is larger and
thus
reporting zero. I am using the default reference ($if_speed_??) for
the
interface speed and this was working before. So what did or what do I
need
to change in my .cfg file to allow $if_speed_?? to work?

Options[....]: gauge (or no gauge)

???? Now that I know what the problem is how do I fix it? thanks for
the
help from everyone that replied to this...

Britt Tabor
I.T. Infrastructure Engineer