[mrtg] Re: Past MRTG daily graphs?

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Wed Aug 11 16:24:57 MEST 2004

The RRD manipulation "tool" would be to do resize the RRD using rrdtool
grow

I must caution you on growing the RRD too quickly if you already have a
good amount of data in the RRD. This could cause your Monthly and Yearly
graphs to lose data. Read through this thread for an explaination of why
this happens and how to avoid certain problems when growing an RRD by
many rows:

http://www.linuxarkivet.se/mlists/rrd-users/0212/msg00151.html

Also, I have written a script that will allow you to specify a range of
time (or dates) and graphs it. If you would like the script, feel free
to email me off the list, and I will send it to you.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Magnuszewski
CCNA
M & T Bank
dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com

>>> "PAUL WILLIAMSON" <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> 8/11/2004 6:34:07 AM

No, you can't grab that information unless you have
modified the original RRAs.  5 minute (Daily) information
is only kept for about the last 400 data points.  That amounts
to:

400 data points / 12 points per hour = 33 hours, 20 minutes.

Having said that, there are two ways of getting daily information.

1.  Saving the graphs at a set time in a specific area so they can be
recalled at a later time.

2.  Modifying the 5 minute RRA to hold as much data as you want.

I did the latter, keeping 1 years' worth of 5 minute data.  Much
more efficient use of space IMHO.

Paul

>>> "Adam Dale" <adale at accessproviders.com.au> 08/10/04 10:52 PM >>>
Firstly, Is this possible using some sort of
RRD manipulation tool?