[mrtg] Re: 4 CPU monitor

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Aug 18 14:35:13 MEST 2004

>I need to monitor a server with 4 CPUs. How can query 4 OID's
>for the same target? What would the syntax for the look like?
Since everyone else has put in their 2p worth, I thought I'd plug my
solution.

You can, of course, use something like

Target[x]: oid1&oid1:c at h + oid2&oid2:c at h + oid3&oid3:c at h + oid4&oid4:c at h
Factor[x]: 0.25
Options[x]: noo gauge

To give you an average percentage.  However, this doesn't let you see what
each individual processor is doing -- you end up with a graph of a single
line, not showing all four.

I would suggest using the routers2.cgi frontend, which allows you to make
userdefined graphs of this type. (I admit to having a certain amount of bias
on this recommendation, though :)

Using routers.cgi, you would first define your four CPU targets

Target[cpu1]: oid1&oid1:community at host
Title[cpu1]: CPU usage for host
PageTop[cpu1]: dummy
Options[cpu1]: noo gauge
LegendI[cpu1]: cpu1:
ShortLegend[cpu1]: %
MaxBytes[cpu1]: 100
...etc
... and so on for cpu2, cpu3 and cpu4 ...

Then you would define a summary graph over the four of them, possibly with
an average line:

routers.cgi*Graph[cpu1]: CPU1234 nototal average noo
routers.cgi*Graph[cpu2]: CPU1234
routers.cgi*Graph[cpu3]: CPU1234
routers.cgi*Graph[cpu4]: CPU1234

finally you could hide the individual graphs from the menu

routers.cgi*InMenu[cpu1]: no
... etc ...

and possibly set better titles on your new summary graph

routers.cgi*ShortDesc[CPU1234]: All CPUs
routers.cgi*Title[CPU1234]: Summary of hosts's CPU usage
routers.cgi*LegendAI[CPU1234]: Average usage

You can see an example of this (for mail queues, not for CPU usage, but the
principle is the same) on the routers.cgi web site.
http://www.steveshipway.org/software

Now you can see why I am slightly biased.

Hope this helps, for more details, see the routers2.cgi documentation or the
web site forum.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes