[mrtg] Re: SNMP and Cisco ... Oh the Fun a newbie can have.

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Tue Aug 31 17:06:06 MEST 2004

Moses Hernandez wrote:

> I have started using mrtg on a win32 test box. It has been running for 5
> days on the core router 6500 router side, two remote connect routers and the
> internet firewall. Today I configured the 6500 gigabit switchports to also
> get snmp info. I have noticed not much traffic above the 640.0 K usage,
> maybe 1.2M. I am using mrtg 2.10.15 and I thought it was a versioning issue
> but noticed some others in the archive had similar issues though no
> resolution. As an aside the low numbers are showing up on my nokia firewalls
> and the numbers are kind of inconsistance with the bandwidth stats from my
> isp.

Are those numbers in bits or bytes?  Do you think the numbers are low
because you've compared them to what the switch is logging? Compare
MRTG's output with what a "sh int xx" gives you, and keep in mind the
proper bits/bytes conversion. If there truly is a discrepancy then you
may want to post the relevant portions of your CFG file so that we may
be able to help you further.  Take a look at your maxbytes setting too.

HTH,

Eric Brander