[mrtg] Re: SNMP and Cisco ... Oh the Fun a newbie can have.

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Tue Aug 31 23:39:07 MEST 2004

mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch wrote:
> Moses Hernandez wrote:
[snip]
> As for everyone else talking about MLS, that only applies when
> monitoring VLANS I thought.  Here he's monitoring layer 2,
> not layer 3,
> and thus it should be accurate for every octet that passes the port.
>
> I could be wrong...
>
> Eric Brander

You could be right... It wasn't clear to me if he was monitoring the
actual port or the VLAN, so perhaps some clarification is in order.

Moses, are you attempting to graph the bandwidth of an actual port on
the switch, or is this a VLAN interface?
If it's a VLAN interface, then what I wrote in my last email is valid.
If an actual switch port, take a close look at the response that Eric
sent a few minutes ago.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)