[mrtg] Re: Deploying MRTG

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Thu Dec 2 16:01:38 MET 2004

Tendolkar Mohit wrote:

> I see a lot of users/developers out there using MRTG, So, could other
> MRTG developers out there let me know how they have deployed monitoring
> solutions based on MRTG for a large number of systems from a Windows
> system?

I run on Win2k with a bit over 2000 targets using 70 different config
files. I have those configs separated in to different folders and I run
each folder every minute at 5 minute intervals using Windows Task
Scheduler. I have 227 targets that I poll on a 1-minute interval. I run
about 50/50 rateup and rrdtool. I run interface polling an a LOT of
external perl scripts and some external vbs scripts for getting non-snmp
data.

The system is a Dell Precision 340 workstation with a single 2.6 Ghz
processor and 512 MB of RAM. It averages 71% utilization in this
configuration and due to some sort of memory leak, I have to reboot it
once a week. I'd say that I've reached the limits of this hardware and
software combination.

I'm in the process of converting over to Fedora and 100% RRDTool. I wish
I had done that from the beginning...

Regards,

Eric Brander