[mrtg] Re: importing log file

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Dec 6 15:41:45 MET 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 09:09:05PM +0900, Yuichi Sassa wrote:

> >MRTG log files are just plain text files, just copy the file to the "other"
> >machine.

> thank you for your response.
> I understand that log file is text...(T_T)
> apologies that i did not describe enough  -english is not my mother tongue-
> the question is "after you copied the file".
> could someone tell me how to create graph using that file per chance?
> # does mrtg have function such as the 'graph' function in RRDtool?
> your idea would be greatly appreciated...

MRTG will ask rateup to do the work.  You can call rateup yourself,
this is undocumented (as far as I know) and it will take you some
time to figure it out.  I did this, quite some time ago, but do not
remember exactly how.

If you want to figure it out yourself, here's how I did it:

- rename the original rateup command (for instance: rateup.orig)
- create a script that will call the original rateup with all of
  the arguments you give to the script.  This script also logs
  the commands with parameters to a file
- wait a couple of minutes, until MRTG has updated the graphs
- restore the original configuration:
   - rename your script (for instance: rateup_script)
   - rename the original rateup command back to rateup

Now have a good look at the logged output.  It will show what
parameters are given to rateup when mrtg wants it to create
images.

HTH
Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim