[mrtg] using mrtg with data stored in mysql

Sun Dec 12 21:15:32 MET 2004

I log data for bandwidth usage and billing to a mymql database on a 5
minute basis for up to 7 days then a 2 hour basis for 30 days then a 1
day basis for the rest of the year.

Now I want to graph this material but it seems that mrtg only likes to
work with one new set of figures and assumes they are from the current
time and wont let me feed it numbers going back several months.

I tried many oher custom graphing utilities but in the end none of them
really gave me the "mtrg graph" feel I really like and were really
complicated to get the end result that mrtg does by default.

So I am looking for a good way to make mrtg generate custom graphs on
demand with any dataset I throw at it on a moments notice and have
instantly all the history I have stored in mysql even if it was never
used to make a graph on that data before.  Also this would lead to
people being able to request custom graphs of anything they can think of
without me having to have mrtg making thousands of possible graphs all
day lone every 5 minutes

I am looking for opinions or ideas here.  The only one I can think of it
to make a script that writes out the mrtg log files for any particular
graph and then runs mrtg feeding it one more set of numbers thus faking
it to think that it was logging that data all this time.  But before I
go on that that adventure I was wondering if anyone had a better idea?

Thanks
Jason Cribbins