[mrtg] MRTG Daemon doing bad thing

Davi de Paula Cabral - DATAPREVRJ davi.cabral at previdencia.gov.br
Tue Dec 21 14:07:16 MET 2004

Dear colleagues

I have 3 mrtg servers, each one with hundreds of interfaces. RedHat 7.2,
mrtg 2.9.6 (1minute), rrdtool 1.0.39, Pentium IV 2.4 GHz, 40Gb HD, 512Mb
RAM.
I put one of them with daemon instead of using crond. In order to save
memory and CPU at the same time, I grouped all the configs in 4 daemonized
configs.
But, unfortunatly, when one of the monitored routers falls, all the cfg
falls together.

Config example:

[root at DIPRO-999 mrtg]# more 030.cfg
WorkDir: /var/www/html
Refresh: 300
#Forks: 4
Kilo[_]: 1024
Options[_]: bits
LogFormat: rrdtool
PathAdd: /usr/bin
Libadd: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux
WithPeak[_]: wmy
XSize[_]: 600
YSize[_]: 150
RunAsDaemon: Yes
Interval: 1

###################
Include: /etc/mrtg/BA.cfg
Include: /etc/mrtg/GO.cfg
Include: /etc/mrtg/AL.cfg
Include: /etc/mrtg/PR.cfg

Today, the AL router was out because it happened a blackout. So, BA, GO and
PR (all brazilian States, before someone ask) NOT worked while AL was in
trouble.
I imagine that it is not the idea. If some interfaces are not working, it
must not intervene in the others` operation.

Thanks for attention
Davi