[mrtg] removing broadcast traffic

Gray, Garrie garrie.gray at eds.com
Thu Dec 23 04:31:55 MET 2004

Our implementation of mrtg is collecting wan utilisation stats from Cisco
switch ports that interface the wan routers (we do not have access to the
routers themselves). I have set the Maxbytes to be the same as the wan links
we are monitoring and it all works pretty well. Only problem is that we are
catching the lan broadcast traffic as well as the traffic to/from the wan
and this is skewing the result, particularly on the low speed links.

Does anyone know of a way to weed out broadcast/multicast packets from the
utilisation graphs captured on a FastEthernet port?

If not, is there an easy way to reduce either ifInOctets or IfOutOctets by a
set amount as the broadcast traffic seems to be mostly pretty stable?
Thanks in advance,
Garrie Gray
Communications Service Delivery - Canberra
EDS Australia
Ph: (02) 6275 6881 Mob: 0408 190 184
Fax: (02) 6275 5930