[mrtg] Logging/graphing the output of a Cisco router command..

Tim Reimers tim.reimers at asheville.k12.nc.us
Thu Dec 30 20:08:36 MET 2004

Hi everyone-
I have to do something that I suspect has been done before-

I need to monitor how many PRI channels are in use for phone calls on a
Cisco 2651XM
using two T1 interfaces to two bonded PRIs
(30 channels total across two PRIs)

I want to know how close we're getting to 30 channels in use at any
given time-
I don't want to interpret CDR logs or debug the router to do this...

Method 1 -
Get the OID for PRI channels in use (whatever the heck that is)
for both PRIs - somehow add them together to graph all 30 channels.

Method 2-
Get a script that can interpret the output of a 'sh isdn active'

This too reports only on one PRI at a time unless you specify the serial
Interestingly enough, I could not find the outgoing call I was making
between my IP phone and my cell.... Saw these two other calls, but
neither serial1/1 or serial1/0 showed the call

Here's what the output looks like.

ACS-GW#sh isdn active Serial 1/0:23
--------
                                ISDN ACTIVE CALLS
--------
Call    Calling      Called       Remote  Seconds Seconds Seconds
Charges
Type    Number       Number       Name    Used    Left    Idle
Units/Currency
so that people from both lists can offer suggestions...

Tim Reimers
Network Administrator
Asheville City Schools ITT
85 Mountain Street
Asheville, NC 28802

tim.reimers(at)asheville(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us
828-350-6180

Atoms are dedicated in nature: they cannot be put to two uses
simultaneously.
Bits, upon which all digital information is based, are endlessly
interchangeable and reusable.
When you download a file, the file you downloaded is still there.
-Nicholas Negroponte

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Desc: Tim Reimers (tim.reimers at asheville.k12.nc.us).vcf
-- Size: 143 bytes