[mrtg] Re: ima interface

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Wed Feb 11 16:38:31 MET 2004

mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch wrote:
> I don't have access to routers with IMA interfaces anymore, but I seem
> to recall that cisco did not keep counters running per subinterface.
> There are a number of things that are only tracked per physical
> interface (things like errors and collisions which are problems on the
> line don't make sense at a subinterface level). If through
> command line
> "sh interface" or snmpwalk experiments you know that there are the
> desired counters available, use cfgmaker with the appropriate
> if-filter (in place of $if_is_loopback from this example) values to
> keep the interfaces from being commented out:
>
> /usr/bin/cfgmaker --ifref=ip --no-down
> '--if-filter=($default_iftype ||
> $if_is_loopback)' community at yourrouter.net
>
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 18:47, Sherwin T wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> Would like to ask help if anyone was able to obtain
>> mrtg graphs for total traffic of cisco IMA logical
>> interfaces.
>>
>> The cfgmaker comments out the ATM/ima main interface.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> regards,

I keep track of my IMA interfaces with MRTG. I just run configmaker
against it and then add the subinterface targets to get a complete
picture of the IMA port. While errors and/or collisions might not be
available (I don't know as I've never attempted to graph them),
bandwidth graphs for subinterfaces work fine out of the box. Leave the
ATM/IMA main interface commented out, and then add the subinterfaces on
a new target line, or use routers2.cgi to combine them into a new
target.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)