[mrtg] Re: Utilization graph uncertainty

Soden, David dsoden at cov.com
Wed Feb 11 23:37:23 MET 2004

Thanks Steve and you are right from the perspective of a Full duplex 10
MBps LAN connection; though, I typically see 10 MBps connections setup
as half duplex which is the case in my scenario.

As I understand it, the T1 provides symmetric communications, meaning
that any one of the 24 channels in the circuit can be sending or
receiving, but not both, at any given point in time.  So, if we were
only using 50% of the T1 to receive data, it is possible for the other
50% of available bandwidth to be utilized for sending data.  If we are
using 100% of the bandwidth for sending data there are no pathways left
for receiving.

So with that said, I'm still left uncertain how the combined total was
over 100%.