[mrtg] Memory data on Windows 2000 system

Millard Robert (NHQ-AC) MillardRK at CSC-SCC.GC.CA
Thu Feb 12 17:51:12 MET 2004

I hope someone can help me out with this one.  Collecting and graphing
memory statistics from a Windows 2000 system using SNMP2CA and trying to
show Memory Available vs Committed.  Committed counter only collects in
Bytes, however available memory can be collected in anything from Bytes
to Mbytes.  Now...on a system with 4GB physical memory when I try to
collect available memory in bytes (to maintain consistency) it only
returns a negative integer and MRTG doesn't graph this properly (i.e.
was showing 800MB free when the actual value was 2800MB free).  I have
tried to collect with other counters (KB, MB) and the numbers are coming
through better, however the graph is showing incorrect values.  For
example, showing 2800KBytes instead of 2800MBytes.  I have tried to
adjust however am having difficulty in that when I try to adjust the one
it affects the other (e.g. showing 580GBytes of committed memory instead
of 580MBytes).  Can someone help me get my graphs to show realistic
values?  BTW, when I use GETIF to walk the available memory in bytes it
is also returning a negative integer.
Config file (with Kbytes for available vs. bytes for committed).
Target[S000115_MEM]:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9600.1.1.2.2.0&.1.3.6.1.4.1.9600.1.1.2.4.0:XXXXXXXX@#.#.#.#
:
MaxBytes[S000115_MEM]: 3992473600
AbsMax[S000115_MEM]: 70000000000
Title[S000115_MEM]: S000115
PageTop[S000115_MEM]: <H1>Memory: Available MBytes vs. Committed Bytes
on "S000115"</H1>
 <H2>Dotted red line indicates physical memory actually installed (4
GB)</H2>
Options[S000115_MEM]: gauge, absolute, growright
Unscaled[S000115_MEM]: dwmy
#Supress[S000115_MEM]:dwmy
XSize[S000115_MEM]: 320
YSize[S000115_MEM]: 100
YLegend[S000115_MEM]: Bytes (MB)
ShortLegend[S000115_MEM]: Bytes
Legend1[S000115_MEM]: Memory Available in MBytes
Legend2[S000115_MEM]: Memory Committed in MBytes
#Legend3[S000115_MEM]:
#Legend4[S000115_MEM]:
LegendI[S000115_MEM]: Available:&nbsp
LegendO[S000115_MEM]: Committed:&nbsp