[mrtg] Re: mrtgsql - a MRTG to SQL logging and reporting tool

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Tue Feb 17 15:52:52 MET 2004

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Today Cook, Garry wrote:
>>> Feedback and suggestions are always welcome.
>>
>> You mentioned .log files... Will this work for .rrd files as well?
>> Any plans for such a beast?
>
> I wondr though, why you would want to write the data into a log or
> rrd file first instead of punishing your database server with it
> right away ... ?
>
> tobi

Good question. I hadn't really considered that, only had half a cup of
coffee this morning...
If I had an sql server already setup, I might have thought about it more
in depth. I don't know mysql or msql well enough to weigh the pros and
cons, although I find rrdtool and .rrd files very clean and easy to
manage. It sounds like mrtgsql would add a redundant layer to my setup.
However, I've written many scripts that automate the tasks involved with
my mrtg installation, it would probably be easier for me to add this
extra layer than to rebuild my entire mrtg management system.
Perhaps I should have asked, 'Will the second portion of the package,
mrtgreport, hook directly to an .rrd?'

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)