[mrtg] DOS popup boxes with external Perl Script

michael rizk michael.rizk at thespecializt.com
Thu Feb 19 03:07:56 MET 2004

I have configured the MRTG cfg file to use an external Perl script to gather data as follows.

Target[db1-memory-availableBytes]:`perl c:\TheSpecializt\getlog2.pl Z:\DB1.CSV "\\DB1\Memory\Available Bytes"`

This works perfectly but what happens is it spawns a cmd session and a perl session for each device. So you could imagine when monitoring 15 devices each having 6 items being probed the number of DOS popup boxes that appears becomes quite annoying.

MRTG is setup to run as a daemon and is started as follows.

start /MIN /B /Dc:\mrtg-2.9.29\bin wperl mrtg --logging=eventlog C:\TheSpecializt\Client_Services\Utilisation_Graphs\TheSpecializt\Cfg\mrtg.cfg

As you can see I tried using the START command with the /MIN and /B switches no luck. I also tried sticking the START command and switches in the cfg file but also no luck.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Michael Rizk
MCSE 2000, MCSE NT, CCNA, CCA XP, CLP
Senior Network Engineer
The Specializt Pty Ltd
Unit 15/56 O'Riordan Street,Alexandria, 2015
151º 14' 51" EAST, 33º 57' 23" SOUTH
Tel 61-2-83377000, Fax 61-2-83377077