[mrtg] Re: NBAR

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Thu Feb 19 14:20:55 MET 2004

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t15/ftpdmib.htm

> I have been asked to see once its implemented on our routers can MRTG
> identify protocols so traffic can be classified appropriately
> for Quality of
> Service purposes?
>
> Can anybody help at all ?

This is the first time I've heard of NBAR, and it's been
around since 12.0(5)XE2! I sure feel out of the loop. ;)

>From the above URL...

>>NBAR is a classification engine that recognizes a wide
>>variety of applications, including web-based and other
>>difficult-to-classify protocols that utilize dynamic TCP/UDP
>>port assignments. When an application is recognized and
>>classified by NBAR, a network can invoke services for that
>>specific application. NBAR ensures that network bandwidth
>>is used efficiently by classifying packets and then applying
>>Quality of Service (QoS) to the classified traffic.

This just sounds too cool. What is the router overhead? It's
got to be high if it's doing payload inspection. I want
to see a pre and post implementation router-cpu graph.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 1k (1875 bytes)