[mrtg] Re: NBAR

tim.reimers at asheville.k12.nc.us tim.reimers at asheville.k12.nc.us
Thu Feb 19 19:46:45 MET 2004

Umm..... please ?? (-yes-)

One thing everyone thinking about NBAR should do is update their NBAR PDLM=
 files on the Cisco devices: These are the files that
'know' what a protocol is-
I can see the possibility of a great many posts here of people saying that=
 their sniffer sees a protocol, but the MRTG doesn't show it-
My 2c involves becoming carnally familiar with ALL the information below=
 before you try implementing MRTG graphing the results-
You DEFINITELY should know and use the debugging and testing commands that=
 Cisco recommends before assuming that it's a problem with MRTG.

Here's the top level public page from Cisco's TAC website regarding Traffic=
 Classification (which is what NBAR is part of)
http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/browse/psp_view.pl?p=3DTechnologies:C=
lassification_and_Marking=
 http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/browse/psp_view.pl?p=3DTechnologies:=
Classification_and_Marking

This is, I believe, the MIB you want to think of for MRTG
http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/Mibbrowser/mibinfo.pl?mn=3DCISCO-NBAR=
-PROTOCOL-DISCOVERY-MIB CISCO-NBAR-PROTOCOL-DISCOVERY-MIB

Tim Reimers, CCNA, CCDA
Asheville City Schools

---- Message from mailto:<kj at sunclipse.com Keith E Johnson=
 <kj at sunclipse.com> at 2004-02-19 09:05:57 ------

I'm running NBAR on a couple of my core routers and my internet routers.
I've been running NBAR for about a year now without any issues. I have a
couple scripts to feed the Data into MRTG if anybody is interested.

Thanx, kj

Keith Johnson=20
LAN Administrator=20
Amcor Sunclipse North America=20
6600 Valley View Street, Buena Park, CA 90620=20
Voice: 714.562.6179 Fax: 714.562.2036=20